Monday, August 16, 2010

The world doesn't revolve around the US of A

I experienced that feeling where you realize that the world doesn't revolve around the United States.

I know that sounds harsh and ignorant, and coming from someone who is educated and listens to NPR every morning, this reaction surprised myself.

The women's rugby world cup kicks off in a few days in England. 13 games will be televised by Sky Sports in the UK. Their schedule reveals they'll show the Wales v Australia, New Zealand v South Africa, England v Ireland, France v Scotland, New Zealand v Australia, England v Khazakhstan, New Zealand v Wales, and Australia v South Africa matches as well as the semi-finals and final matches (teams to be determined).

Understanding that rugby in the United States is not as popular as American football or even baseball, or even soccer, and that women's rugby is even less so... and (unfortunately) I don't think the Eagles are favored to win (NOT my opinion!, just sayin') -- I was still surprised that their matches won't be shown on Sky. They are in the same bracket as England and Ireland, so I thought maybe those would be aired.

Luckily, the President of USA Rugby has confirmed that Universal Sports will broadcast some of the US Eagles matches AND it looks like all matches in the world cup will be available through the IRB's website.

In all honesty, I don't think you can get Sky Sports here -- well, I can't with the cable I currently have. It was just one of those moments that made me go 'wow. no kidding.' And I'm reminded that the world doesn't revolve around the US... nor does the women's world cup revolve around the US Eagles.

A few of us in Boston will likely be gathering to watch US matches projected onto a wall in someone's living room... or hopefully at PJ Ryan's (Teele Square, Somerville) on Sunday, August 29th (streamed on demand after their England and Ireland matches have occurred).

No comments: