Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Hunger Project

I started thinking about charity and finding a new organization to make a donation. After enjoying a gluttonous few days at Christmas and watching (somewhat horrified) a few episodes of Man v. Food, I decided to find a charity centered around ending hunger.

I have watched Man v. Food previously and any enjoyment the show had once provided me has been replaced with a feeling of disgust. I'm speaking only for myself and not to make anyone feel badly for enjoying the show... it's just that I can't watch someone stuff himself so that, once completed, an entire mid section of a cow has been consumed.

I also wonder about the host's health. I read an interview he gave to ESPN (I think) a few years ago. He said he works out a lot and stays fit, but he's definitely a big boy. What sort of long-term damage will this cause?

Anyway, the whole idea of one person eating much more than they need is really the catalyst for a hunger-ending charity donation.

Just today, I saw an article from the Times about a woman whose goal is to reach 1,000 pounds. At Christmas she ate a 30,000 calorie meal. Ridiculous! Her goal, which is now a career, will probably kill her.

I just want to scream. What is wrong with a society that encourages this? UGH.

So.

I'm going to do something, little, as it may be... it's something. I found the The Hunger Project though the American Institute of Philanthropy's charity rating. They gave the organization an A, and I've been moved to action by HP's principles.

This organization promotes ending hunger through teaching sustainable methods, and in doing so, empowers people to make the changes at a grass roots level. (I'm in love.) It brings me back to Introduction to Women's Studies in college. This organization's mission and principles might not be for everyone, but it's struck a chord with me. I'll continue to research other organizations out there, but this one has caught my interest particularly... and clearly enough to write about it.

1 comment:

Sara Dee said...

Hey!

Love this post and love The Hunger Project. Check out their "Get Involved" page for ideas on becoming an investor. Involvement can be so much more than a donation!

http://thp.org/get_involved